5 Step Guide to Competency Based Interviews
23 Nov 2018
We've reached Friday of #workinpublishing week and our final blog for the week. We've put together our five tips for today on answering competency based questions in an interview:
- Prepare copies of your CV and Cover letter, highlighting your relevant skills and attributes in relation to the specific role.
- Questions (often not even framed as a question) typically start out: "Tell me/us about a time..." or "Describe a situation..." - Prepare specific examples for each highlighted attribute.
- Remember to show the action you took, your reasoning and what result you achieved.
- It is important to use the word ‘I’ rather than we to make it clear that you were personally responsible for undertaking responsibilities.
- If you can relate your examples to the role you are interviewing for, this is a good way of showing how you would be a good fit for the position.